One Cleveland Center - 1983
The Stubbins Associates
1375 East 9th St., Cleveland
One Cleveland Center is Cleveland's fifth tallest building. It is notable for its angular shape as most of the surrounding buildings are in the more formal International Style. Another unusual aspect is the building's angular site placement, a rarity given downtown Cleveland's "grid" street pattern. The Stubbins Associates also designed the Citicorp Center in New York City.
Fifth Third Center - 1992
600 Superior Ave., Cleveland
This building, constructed as the Bank One Center, features a distinctive green hipped roof and twin-spired antennae. The tower was renamed in 2003 when Fifth Third Bank of Cincinnati relocated to the structure. Fifth Third Bank signage was added in spring of 2004, click here for a view. The site was formerly the home to the Hollenden Hotel.
Federal Court House Tower - 2002
Kallman, McKinnell & Wood/General Services Administration
This tower is the latest addition to the downtown skyline, with the name “Court House” chosen in homage to the old Federal Building (Info credit: Inside Business). The building features a distinctive cornice which was initially illuminated at night. Another notable feature is an enclosed walkway which connects the tower to Tower City Center. A sculpture by artist Jim Dine highlights the entrance on Huron Road.
Justice Center - 1976
Prindle, Patrick and Partners
1300 Ontario St., Cleveland
The Justice Center is the downtown headquarters of the Cleveland Police Department. The complex features this tower which houses numerous courtrooms. Also located at the complex is “Portal”, a large sculpture by noted artist Isamu Noguchi.
Anthony J. Celebreeze Federal Building- 1967
Outcalt, Guenther, Rode and Bonebrake
1240 East 9th St., Cleveland
This building houses numerous government agency offices. One of the original designs for this building was an eight-story structure with central courtyard that occupied most of the site. The building is currently undergoing a facade replacement and subsequent encasement which will enhance the building's energy efficiency and operations.
PNC Center - 1980
Skidmore, Owings and Merrill
1900 East 9th St., Cleveland
This tower was built as the headquarters for the National City Bank Corporation and replaced the Bond department store.
Cleveland Trust Tower (AT Tower/900 Euclid Building) - 1971
Marcel Breuer and Hamilton Smith
900 Euclid Avenue
This building was constructed as the headquarters of the Cleveland Trust bank. This tower was originally designed with an adjacent twin tower (on the site of the 1010 Euclid Building), which was never built. With its black granite and exposed concrete window framing, the tower is a stark contrast to the Beaux-Arts styled Cleveland Trust Rotunda - the original headquarters for the Cleveland Trust bank.
Cleveland Trust later became Ameritrust Bank, which eventually merged with Society Bank (Society Bank is now part of KeyBank). After the bank mergers, the building was vacated and maintained for over a decade. At one time, the tower was to be demolished in a controversial plan to locate a new Cuyahoga County administration center on the site. The only part of the plan that came to fruition was construction of the administration center adjacent to the tower.
In 2013, redevelopment started of the tower, rotunda and adjacent 1010 Euclid Building into a mixed-use including hotel, residential and retail. The tower will contain apartments and a hotel and the rotunda and 1010 Building will be home to a Heinens grocery store.
Cleveland Hilton Convention Center - Under Construction 2013/planned completion spring/summer 2016
Ontario and Lakeside Avenue, Cleveland
This 600+ room hotel is currently under construction at the site of the former Cuyahoga County administration building.
AT&T Huron Road Building (SBC/Ohio Bell) - 1927
Hubbell and Benes
750 Huron Road, Cleveland
The tallest Art Deco building in Cleveland, and reputedly the influence for the “Daily Planet” building in the Superman comic series (created by Cleveland natives Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster). This tower was briefly the tallest in Cleveland until the Terminal Tower was constructed.
Rhodes Tower (Cleveland State University) - 1971
Outcault and Guenther
The tallest academic building in Ohio, named after former Governor James A. Rhodes.
1111 Superior (Eaton Center) - 1983
Skidmore, Owings and Merrill
1111 Superior Ave., Cleveland
This tower was the headquarters for the Eaton Corporation, and was one of Cleveland’s first skyscrapers with a reflective glass facade.